Saturday, September 12, 2009

Japanese Forrest Gump

That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little run. So I ran to the end of the road. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd run to the end of town. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd just run across Greenbow County. And I figured, since I run this far, maybe I'd just run across the great state of Alabama. And that's what I did. I ran clear across Alabama. For no particular reason I just kept on going.
                      -Forrest Gump
He travels the world by the seat of his pants.

Bored with his air conditioning job, Keiichi Iwasaki left his Japanese home in 2001 with a bicycle and 160 Yen (about $2), and never looked back. So far Iwasaki has ridden his Raleigh  Shopper bike over 29,000 miles in his eight years on the road. He supports himself by busking.
Although attacked by a rabid dog in Tibet, robbed by pirates and arrested in India during his trek, he also became the first Japanese man to climb Mt. Everest from sea level without transportation, and is currently in Switzerland hoping to climb Mt. Blanc.


Sources:
Perth Now
Daily Telegraph (photo)
Telegraph (map)

No comments:

Post a Comment